Monday, September 25, 2017

A reflection on art in the garden.

Reflections by Frank Swanson



Sculpture exhibits have become an important part of the program of many public gardens, especially the one I work at. What I enjoy most about most of these is that they are finite: the very powerful artistic sculptures can dominate the space where they are located. The gardens at Denver Botanic Gardens are sufficiently bold that they hold up well to such art--but if the art were permanent, there is a danger they would eventually become static, or worse, stale. There are many permanent pieces of sculpture on display at Denver Botanic Gardens--all of which I have come to love, this one in particular. I show it first in snow--the minimalist context lets you admire the limestone form without distraction.  




Unlabeled sculpture at park in Pruhonice, Czech Republic
Imagine how suprised I was to find a twin of our sculpture (not an identical twin I hasten to add) in Europe.  I suspect if I had asked, I could have found out who was responsible for this interesting "reflection" of the piece at Denver Botanic Garden which I saw this last May: I was intrigued that the two different artists created somewhat similar forms out of a cylindrical shape. With similarly mottled, sleek forms (this one could be cement: I should have examined it closer).

sculpture
Reflections, again

 I find it interesting to see how radically different a piece of work can look in different contexts, or different seasons.

Garden art is somewhat controversial: but there has been figurative art in garden spaces for as long as humanity has created figures. Figurative art has threbled the visitation to D.B.G. over the last decade not only bringing truly remarkable sums of money, but raising the visitbility and status of the Gardens in the community.  Again and again I've been told that new visitors come to see the art, and come back (and join) for the garden.

And I think that's terrifc!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

A garden near lake Tekapo

The crevice garden of Michael Midgley Just a few years old, this crevice garden was designed and built by Michael Midgley, a delightful ...

Blog Archive